Tuesday, September 27, 2011

6 days

I apologize for my lack of posting on the actual days that would show how many days we would truly have til our anniversary. The past four days have been somewhat of a blur.

My memory for this day is that of Disco Skating.

Rollerskating is not something I am particularly good at. I remember the awkward elementary and middle school years where Classic skating was considered the peak of social life and snowball skates were the closest us Mormon kids would get to "dating" until we reached the age of 16. Needless to say, my few experiences with skating were less than adequate in teaching me how to actually skate.

Enter in Joshua Park.

My husband harbored this secret from me until a few months into our marriage. Apparently he is a professional roller-skater- A professional keeping his amateur status so he can rollerskate in the Olympics. We have been to the Classic skating disco night (Saturday nights at Classic) twice now (I know- so many times. It's all our busy schedule would allow), and I feel fairly comfortable doing the cross-overs to turn my direction. While I take an hour to perfect my new found skill at moving slowly around the rink without falling down, I am surrounded by various talented people (including my husband) who can somehow skate and dance at the same time to the beat of the throwback music of the disco era. It's like the skates don't inhibit their movement. I still don't see how it's possible to move like they do with weighty shoes on your feet, that don't necessarily go exactly where you want them to.

However, while I am now nursing a bruised knee from our latest excursion to Classic's Disco night, I had (and have had) the best time. I could just sit and watch Josh skate in his disco outfit all night, which, in fact, almost happened. While I intended to merely sit through one song to rest my sore feet and knee, I ended up sitting and watching Josh (and the various others who are incredibly balanced and surprisingly less self-conscious than they should be) dance and glide around the floor for nearly twenty minutes. Let's be honest, though. I think my husband is hot and could watch him do almost anything for twenty minutes and not get bored. And the people who go to Classic skating are so very interesting to watch. It makes me wonder what kind of people they are off the rink.

Love the Disco. Love the skating. Love that my husband has his own skates to take to our Disco Skating excursions. He's a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment